Friday, November 4, 2011

1st Shelby County Geocaching

What many folks do not realize is that there are geocaches all around them.  You will pass them unaware every time you drive to work.  On my first day back at work, I took our senior adults to the Huxley Bay Marina Restaurant on the Toledo Bend Reservoir.  I didn't take any photos of the lake as it looks pathetic because the severe drought we have experienced.  I always like to include an activity when we do anything.  I chose to introduce them to geocaching.  I made them swear they would not tell a soul where the exact location of this cache was.  We found it at the Huxley Volunteer Fire Station.

My son, Big Bro E, was not at all happy that I took somebody besides him no a geocache.  We have found a father and son activity that we mutually enjoy.  What I had not realized was that he wanted this experience to be unique to just the two of us.  I thought it was sweet and I promised I would only do this as a family.


The gentleman in the back wearing the baseball cap actually
found the micro sized pill bottle.  Not one of them had even
heard of geocaching and I think each enjoyed the trip.  It just
goes to show that one is never too old to learn and experience new things.


Thursday after work I decided to take Big Bro on a hunt for caches near our home.  I had some making up to do.  All 5 caches are hidden within a five mile radius in our house.  We drove my Kia Optima and it took us about 2 hours to find all of them.  Let me tell you, we went on some rough country roads.  I think I'm going have to invest in a halt-ton pickup truck if I'm to do anymore rural geocaching.  We even went over a rickety wooden bridge.  My son asked, "Do you really trust this thing, Dad?"

Clever Creek Baptist Church

Buckner Cemetary

Papa E at Clever Creek Baptist Church

Big Bro E at the Neuville School

We have found geocaching to be a fun and inexpensive family activity.  Check back soon to read about our next adventure.  Who knows when or where that will be!

For more information about geocaching, click here.







No comments:

Post a Comment